Senior Underwriter, Assistant Vice President
Title: Senior Underwriter, Assistant Vice President
Department: Credit / Fairfax Corporate Office
The primary role of the Underwriter position is to support commercial loan officers in the underwriting process for the Banks C&I, CRE, and other credit relationships. The Underwriter will assist in identifying and gathering sufficient information regarding the credit qualifications of the applicant/borrower, the specific nature and current status of the industry, current market conditions, and the underlying financial strength of the owners to determine if there is a viable request for credit. In addition, the Underwriter will prepare loan presentation packages that will be used by voting members of the Loan Committee.
Summary of essential job functions
Assist lenders in making viable credit recommendations by reviewing and analyzing financial information provided by potential borrowers and discussing loan request pros and cons prior to preparing underwriting package. Identify financial items needed to process loan request and prepare list of questions regarding financial statements for follow up by lenders. Prepare loan presentation packages for lenders that clearly identify credit qualifications and weaknesses of potential borrowers. Assist lenders in presentations to Loan Committee by helping to answer questions as needed. Analyze business and commercial financial statements, cash flows using bank’s software applications. Analyze personal tax returns, financial statements, and cash flows using Bank’s software applications. Gather appropriate underwriting information from various sources such as the Bank’s data systems, Internet, Dunn & Bradstreet, RMA, Co-Star, and general market data bases. Evaluate adequacy of cash flows to service proposed debt structure(s). Evaluate applicant’s/borrower’s industry and general market conditions. Determine the degree of risk involved in extending the proposed credit facility and appropriately risk rate credit presentations using Bank software applications. Perform other duties as assigned.
- Bachelor’s degree in Accounting or Finance
- 3 – 5 years of related work experience in banking
- Ability to focus on task and be detail oriented
- Strong analytical skills
- Excellent written and verbal skills
- Proficient in Microsoft Office suit
- Adaptability to other software programs
- Solid business writing skills
- Good organizational skills
- Strong written and verbal communication skills
- Strong and effective planning and organizational skills
- Thorough understanding of the components of various financial statement types and formats
- Thorough understanding of personal/ partnership and corporate tax returns
- Extended coursework in accounting and/or finance
- Professional and effective interpersonal skills
- Working knowledge of legal entity structures
- Ability to support and defend decisions on loan requests
- Ability to communicate effectively in a logical succinct format, verbally or in writing
The position for which you are applying is one that would have access to cash, financial instruments, financial transactions or confidential customer financial information. The Bank has determined that personal financial responsibility is substantially related to preventing misuse of misappropriation of financial instruments or information which is essential function of the position for which you are applying. A consumer report and background check is requested on that basis.
The above statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of work being performed by people assigned to this classification. They are not to be construed as an exhaustive list of all responsibilities, duties, and skills required of personnel so classified. All personnel may be required to perform duties outside of their normal responsibilities from time to time, as needed.
Equal Opportunity Employer M/F/D/V